Yea Jawbone, when I read your post about shocking the first thing that came to mind was "poachers".
I have a 2 acre pond that is 30 years old. No one in my family has ever taken any fish outa there but the fishing is still pretty slow and I know it's people sneaking in and taking out the fish. The problem comes and goes in cycles. I've caught and released bass to 8 lbs 10 years ago but now it's hard to catch a fish over 4 lbs. These theives don't understand how much work and time it takes to make a good fishing pond. They come in and take out 10 to 15 good fish per trip and it doesn't take long to completly screw up the pond. The 3 to 5 lbers they take out get replaced with lot's of small bass, then the whole lake goes out of balance. I've tried the nice approach, like telling people they can fish but throw everything back but they still screw you.
No more mister nice guy. When the water drops a little more I'm going to put some long stre tches of chicken wire out in the lake so I can at least get some free lures out of the deal. What is really sad is there are lot's of big public lakes around this area and catching plenty of crappie or sand bass to eat is a no brainer.