Welcome to Pond Boss forum.

I don't know exactly where to start. That is a question that entails hundreds of details to give any sort of decent answer with very little details given.

You need to post some pictures and a LOT more details before anyone can even start to give suggestions. Then they likely can be only that, suggestions and ideas.

A few examples of pertinent details would be:

How big is the watershed or what it the potential water flow? How high is the current dam height over full pool? What kind of current over flow mechanism is in use (ie pipe, earthen spillway, etc.).

Is there suitable dam material available nearby to provide material to add to the dam?

Those are just a few I can think of off hand.

In the most general terms, to raise a dam height it may involve moving as much dirt as composes the original dam. It involves not only raising the height, but also the width to withstand the additional water force pushing on the dam. A new overflow system will need to be installed as well as an emergency overflow.

I'm no expert, just a farmer with some experience with construction equipment. I have raised one dam to about a foot higher than original full pool but it also involved cleaning out completely the old pond. So it was a complete refurbish. I'm also considering raising the dam on another old pond that was refurbished a couple years ago. If I do it, it will be in conjunction with building another pond nearby with plenty of clay/soil from that excavation to supply the needed additional dirt for the dam.

Raising a dam is not a simple process, and on site expert advice from a pond builder will be needed. But with some more details of your situation, at least some good ideas could be provided by other PBF members.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine