Got my six Cee's minnow traps in but have not put them in the water yet. Anxious to see what they will do.

Learned something interesting while searching for a place to buy the Cee's traps. Came across a statement something like the following:

Traps meet the requirements of most states for use in public waters that the opening be no larger than 1".

Hmmmmm. Now that is starting to make sense why all these minnow traps have a 1" opening. It is not that it is perhaps the most efficient size for catching minnows, it is that it meets legal requirements for use in public waters because the powers that be might not want a person to be removing larger specimens or species of fish other than minnows. Since I never fish public waters, I had no such knowledge of such requirement.

Starts making sense of why my Fabril crawfish trap would catch twice as many fish in half the time as well as larger sizes of fish than their actual minnow trap. You just can't leave it longer than the feed lasts or the fish will migrate back out.

So I did a little modification to one of the Fabril minnow traps. Picture of metal removed below. Presto, catches more fish quicker (but have to check the trap quicker). I cut out enough so the hole is about half way between the original 1" opening and the opening size of the Fabril crayfish trap. If a person wants to catch YOY BG, that is the way to go.

Just be aware, if a person makes this modification, the trap might no longer be legal to use in public waters in certain states.

Attached Images
IMGA1545.JPG
Last edited by snrub; 08/06/15 11:28 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine