I have two Gast 1/3 HP double piston pumps I bought fromTed Lea several years ago ( may he rest in peace.) they both have run pretty much 24/7 for 8 months out of the year for several years now. With the exception of keeping the air filters cleaned, they have required very little maintenance.

Yesterday, I went out to clean the air filters and noticed one of the pumps wasn't running but had a very low level humming noise. So low it was very difficult to hear even with the other pump off. Obviously, with the other pump running, it hadn't kicked the circuit breaker and I'm not really sure how long it had been in this condition. I thought maybe it was the capacitor/solenoid that hangs on the side of the pump (not really sure what it's called) so I swapped out the one from the pump that runs to the one that doesn't and it still wouldn't kick on.

Again, when it's plugged in, you don't hear a click but just a real soft hum and it's not in any kind of overload because it doesn't kick the breaker or even get hot to the touch.

Any ideas on possible causes and fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Warmest Regards to all,
Paul