Solar Surface Aeration System

I have had a lot of experience with pond aeration , beginning some 12+ years ago when Bill Cody helped me put together a DIY working bottom diffuser system.

Todd Overton helped me upgrade the system with sinking air lines and upgraded membrane diffusers. The little ¼ Gast rotary vane pump performs as well today as well as it did 12 years ago.

After a massive fish kill in record setting Texas 2011 drought, Todd recommended a 1hp, 110v Kasco surface aerator to be used separately or in conjunction with the bottom diffuser system. This approach has worked remarkably well surviving record drought heat waves.

I had one unsolved problem - a stagnant nutrient loaded small sediment pond that needed attention. I wanted to install another surface aerator, not for destratification but to utilize pond water technology purification system by maximum O2 injection.

I am very fortunate to have some very good friends!
I tagged along after Brian Hoffman (Highflyer), watching him install and operate a successful solar irrigation system.
His next solar project was successfully developing a 12v, ¼ hp surface aerator for his brood ponds.

I recognized a solution to solve my nigh nutrient problem in my 1/10 acre sediment pond. Having helpful solar knowledge from my friend Brian, he knew from experience all necessary components necessary to operate a 12v Kasco ¼ hp surface aerator, as well sources to order all of the components.

Todd Overton is my aeration consultant with more than three years experience with installation and operating performance of our 110v Kasco surface aerator.

First step was to order from Overton Fisheries, a 12 v ¼ hp Kasco surface aerator. I would have used this stand-alone system on Todd’s advice, as recommended by Kasco as a battery operated emergency surface aerator, but with Brian's (Highflyer) advice, I elected to go solar.

After observing Brians successful solar powered surface aerator system, he was more than happy to put my system together.

Components include:
2, 100 watt 12v solar panels
Sealed 12v, 100hr heavy duty deep cycle battery
30 amp Controller
Timer and Relay

The folowing pictures will give a good idea of the simple system:

Last edited by george1; 06/27/15 07:23 AM. Reason: add photo

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)