I have a small pond on my property. Right now it is the fullest I have ever seen it in the 6.5 years I have lived here (just got out of a very bad drought).

Two things I want to achieve is mosquito control and fun for visiting kids...and me...heh

The pond...it was totally dry. In prior times when it had water, I did see what I thought were crawdads in it...but after reading here, they may be some similar critter. Never any fish since I moved in. One of the prior owners told me he had it full of crappie at one time. My guess would be 10-12 feet deep now. Only 27 yards across. I expect the water level to go down. West side is steep, east side more shallow of a bank, but still pretty steep. Trees around/in the pond. Shallowest where the water comes in. Some frogs and a turtle have already found it.

There is a fish truck coming to town saturday...so was looking at stocking it. I spent the last few hours reading threads, but I know nothing...

I am in Wichita county Texas.

Would love some bass, but don't feel the pond is large enough for that.

Want to get FHM for the mosquitoes, and from what I can tell, the truck will have black crappie, bass, channel cats, BG, etc. I am thinking of getting the crappie. Should I be looking at some BG too? Or instead? Quantity I should be looking at? My understanding is they will be 1-3 inches long. Was thinking of a couple cats, but after reading here, that might be a bad idea...???

I have a few spare deer feeders around, so can set up a feeder if need be.

Look forward to your input.

The way our weather is, it would not surprise me if I lose the pond again in a few years...so not looking at any long term plan for it. Just some catch-and-release for a couple years and mosquito control would be nice.

Thanks,
Sean

Last edited by Boburk; 06/23/15 09:15 AM.