I never noticed grass carp being hard to catch. As a kid I learned to fish by catching carp at Silver Lake in Rehoboth Beach DE. That 60 acre lake is 3-5' deep the whole way through and has BG, Gizzard Shad, LMB, Eels, and some of the biggest grass carp you will ever see. There is absolutely no vegetation in the lake and if you take bread and make dough balls and put them on a big hook 1' under a bobber you are catching carp pretty easily, especially on the footbridge where parents take their kids to throw bread to the ducks and end up fattening up the carp. In the spring they splash around the shallows in their mating ritual and would be EASY targets for anyone with a gun. Silver lake also has a phenomenal LMB population, a few years ago the O2 levels dropped and you could see 5-8lb bass struggling ALL over the shorelines, there were so many big bass and you could just walk in and grab them, it was amazing... A few days later a rain storm restored the oxygen and the lake began to recover, three years later and it's back to producing 5+lb bass routinely. I think it is mostly due to the gizzard shad.