sprkplug, I think I did answer the question. I'll answer it another way for you though;

1. The Founders made this country so that the feds could only rule on particular government issues. It does not matter if the fed makes a "beneficial law" or not, they have to be allowed to make such a law by the Constitution.

2. The Founders knew that one's individual rights would be a moving target as time went on, technology, discovery, population, would all impact this. They wanted States to make these calls as people would be able to move to another State if laws were burdensome and didn't make sense to its people. They also allowed for the Constitution to be amended if our fed system needed tweaking.

3. It is not just black and white in some instances, when it's not, it's better to have the State make these calls. As the founders intended, you can move if you disagree with poor decisions at the State level and reward a better State with your residency and tax dollars.

4. About the only thing we can all agree on as far as "rights" is your right to punch me in the nose ends where my nose begins. Look at the discussions we've had recently. You would say that you have the right to "quiet" buy you cannot define "quiet" and many don't understand that if you regulate "quiet" then you will have unintended consequences. Banning loud music above 90 db is not good law. You cannot define music and if you could, there are many daily activities that you do that will be over 90 db.

5. Summing up, I believe that people should be as free as they absolutely can until they actually hurt somebody. Like Jefferson, I don't believe you should have laws "just in case" somebody does something or thinks something up that could hurt someone. Look across the world, at all the countries, is being more free better or is being more regulated better? Always error for freedom.

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.