Caught 5 small RES (4-6") out of my sediment pond a couple nights ago. In my tiny pre-sediment pond I noticed the last high water event some FHM has swam upstream and got into this "clean" pond. If the water was going to be populated with fish, I wanted to be involved with what was in there. So caught these RES and put in there for breeders. Knew I was not good enough to tell the sex (especially at that small size) so decided if I could catch some would go with a half dozen. Was quite pleased with an hour of fishing right before sundown near the bank like you have been doing coming up with 5. Yesterday already saw the largest (it had a bright red ear tab) was solid on a nest in about 8" of water. Then this morning saw another smaller one look like it was attempting to make a nest. Hope I have at least a couple females!

But also this morning, I saw a half dozen 1-1.5" lepomis right near this second RES. So not only some FHM made it up stream into this pre-sediment pond, either CNBG, GSF or RES also made it. Way too small for me to tell what they were. mad Oh well. I knew it was only a matter of time. At least maybe the RES I put in there will get off a spawn before the smaller fish get big enough to do so.

If I start seeing more of the RES on beds, I may have to try and catch some more to make sure I have females.

Last edited by snrub; 06/06/15 08:24 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine