Originally Posted By: redclay

would it be possible/easier to dig the pond in segments to make it easier to pump the water in the smaller area that i am working in, then join all the areas at the end? just trying to think through all the possibilities.

Yes. The approach I did was similar. But again, it is about what soil you have and how fast the water will run thru your soil from the segment you are pumping to back to where you are working.

Another thing I did was dig a hole deeper than what I intended to go. Set up pump there. Then dig but alaways keep a grade that allows the water to go to that deep hole, thus keeps you from working in water. Be ready to dig like a mad man and get as much done as possible. If rains come, or it is flowing in fast, you may not have much working time before you fall behind in pumping. Have all your ducks in order so you can concentrate on digging. If the hole fills up, you might then start another one next to it like you are thinking, but that one will need to be deeper than the first, and still dig like crazy. you might get it big enough to allow all the water from the first one to spill into the second one. That will allow you to go back and dig the first one more. Repeat back and forth till your good. Be carefull of this barrier. If not done/excavated properly, it could all bust at a moments notice.

Also keep in mind this type of pond/digging is not sealed properly. It will have water fluctuations.

Last edited by fish n chips; 05/30/15 07:46 AM.