Several good points made in your post JKB.

I'm fine with more EPA regulation -IF- that solves the sewage in the drinking water problem. I know much effort has gone into preventing sewage being diverted into stormwater lines during big rain events, and the frequency of that occurring has been much less lately. I know millions of dollars have been spent in creating a separate system to handle stormwater run off and to keep those lines separate from sewer lines. Water quality has improved in the Grand River because of it. Without more strict water quality regulations the factories lining the grand river in downtown GR would probably still be discharging their pollution into the river. We have seen the river clean up and the downtown revitalize as the river became more usable for recreational boating/fishing etc. I'm sure as with anything, much more could be done to prevent all sewage from ever getting into the river.

However if the EPA is telling us that the water confined to our backyards requires state or US approved water sampling periodically, or cannot be added to or subtracted from, or permits are needed to treat unwanted weeds etc, then we might as well all turn our ponds into something else.

My toilet flushes into a septic tank so you are safe from downstream visuals on our sewage JKB. However, I'm sure the company that pumps the tanks out has lots of regulations about what they can do with the 'waste' after that.

Doesn't sewage mixed with river water just create a good 'bloom' for the fish downstream? smile

Last edited by canyoncreek; 05/27/15 02:52 PM.