Originally Posted By: therapist
I can't even begin to comprehend how you get a bluegill like that LOL.

You get a Bluegill like that by hybridizing it with a Green Sunfish. Yes, that is a Hybrid Bluegill, the same ones recommended as a solid companion lepomis species choice for SMB fishery. HBG still get a negative rap on the forum, and I used to be part of that camp. On a lighter note, how can one dislike something one cannot identify? Not picking on anyone here, just trying to underscore my original advice which was to suspend judgment until one researches/learns more. Requires a willingness to shift paradigms which I understand is sometimes hard to do - but learning is why we're here after all.

Tony wrote some great articles for Pond Boss Magazine in 2014 I recommend to anyone who wants to learn more about HBG, their role in a fishery, and management techniques. Contact PB HQ and request the back issues, well worth the investment.

Thanks Tony for your efforts to educate us over the past few years - that right there is a remarkable fish and you're doing amazing things and creating new fishery management science with your HBG experiments.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]