Happy Easter PBr's!

Well, we completed our pond renovation late last year and just finished the electroshock survey. I covered the renovation process with photos under "Creating Habitat" with the subject "Cover and Structure" if you'd like to see photos of the pond before and after adding water. I observed 50 to 75 small (<6") BG stranded on the banks when we drained the pond before the renovation. Because we drained most of the water, there weren't as many pan fish left to survey. But, I still think the survey is very useful and informative.

smile Here's the report -

Pond Size: Approx 1 acre (I'd argue 1.25 acres)
Max Depth: 15-17 ft (at full pool)
pH: 6.5
Alkalinity: 20 ppm
Hardness: 18 ppm

Tannin-stained water (probably due to recent heavy runoff) but expect it to clear by summertime
Aquatic Vegetation Issues: None

Fish Species sampled:

Small population of LMB (Three > 18"; One 12-15"; One 9-12"; Two 6-9")
Large population of small CNBG, HBG, RES (3-6"), Two-Three >6"
CC not surveyed but we know there are some

Our Objective: We'd like to have a pond for recreational fishing and occasional food (i.e., mostly fried catfish maybe every week or two) with a well-established natural food chain by the time we retire to our farm in 2-3 years.

Recommendation from the Fishery -

- Apply 4 tons of Ag Lime and 2 tons of Gypsum to increase Alkalinity and Hardness to optimum levels.

- Add 200 3-6" CNBG to improve genetics and for bait fish
- Add 200 2-3" RES for good pond health and forage
- Add 20 lbs of Tilapia for bait fish and algae control
- Add 75 6-8" pellet-trained LMB
- Add 100 8-11" CC for harvesting at 2 lb
- Consider adding 50 HSB for variety after water is improved

- Add complex hardwood trees in at least 5 locations around the pond
- Add an automated solar panel feeder

wink My thoughts -

I think the pan fish are stunted for lack of natural forage. At the same time, they are eating the LMB eggs which keeps the LMB population down. I agree that we need more cover to create a balanced population. But, the overall populations are very small right now and we have plenty of time. So, I think adding FHM and/or GSH now and then following the recommended stocking plan above is a better idea than going to pellets from the start. I've read a lot about establishing a food chain on the forum but the fishery guys didn't like the idea of adding FHM or GSH. Is this because the BG would demolish them?

I'd appreciate some objective feedback on their recommendations.

TIA

PS: The photos are a bit lame - I couldn't get the classic shot of fish rolling over at the surface while being netted. But, I'll be the first to admit that I'm a sorry excuse for a photographer...

Attached Images
IMG_0535 (800x600).jpg IMG_0540 (800x600).jpg
Last edited by WingNuts; 04/05/15 04:20 PM. Reason: Remove reference to the specific brand of pellet feeder

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
- Doug Larson