Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
I hope to start some cultures inside for freshwater scuds and from time to time restock my pond.

I saw this idea in a thread a while back if ya don't already have a plan.

Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Here is what I found on the web of how to grow a culture of scuds.
1) Fill a plastic garbage can or an aquarium with aged water. Place about 5cm (2 inches) of dried leaves. Most tree leaves are good, but you should avoid oak leaves. Dried mulberry leaves are excellent. Place the container is a sunlit location. Aerate the water lightly. Scuds can survive winters outside in most of North America, but reproduce best at 20-30°C (68-86°F).
2) Add a starter culture of Gammarus; a few dozen will be enough.
3) Scuds feed on rotting leaves and microorganisms take grow on any surface. Provide adequate surface area to increase the population size by placing rolled up plastic screening in the culture container. The author uses plastic coated water cooling pads.
4) Within four weeks there will be enough scuds to harvest. Harvest by netting them with a fish net or by picking up the plastic screening or cooling pads and shaking over a bucket.
5) Feed the culture with additional leaves as they are consumed or decompose. Periodic, partial water changes are beneficial.
6) Cultures are long-lasting and sub-culturing is necessary only when production declines. Nevertheless, it is wise to maintain a replicate culture in case of a disaster.

I think the culture would need to be aerated to keep it from going anoxic, loosing the DO from the decomposing leaves and killing all the scuds thus his suggestion of a replicate or duplicate culture.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!