After reading the post started by Ed and seeing the two floating docks built by Ed and Jimmy I made my way to the hardware store and bought the hardware. My brother was able to supply 9 55gal plastic barrels for the project. I used 12' 2' x 10's for the outer frame with 2 8" long L shaped stainless braces on the outside corners and 5/16' galvanized carriage bolts to hold them in place. I ran 2x6 stringers the length of the dock 22 1/2 inches apart to match the barrell width. I used 9 barrells in three rows. I still have two "rows" that I can add more barrells if needed but so far the 2x10's ride about 12" out of the water. The top is 6" wide 5/4ths decking. All wood is pressure treated. I spent a total of $500 and change and the only way I could be happier is if I already had a 10' walkway connecting the dock to the bank.
The whole thing took two days because as a carpenter I would make an excellent digger of ditches! "I cut this board three times and it is still too darn short" and "Square? it needs to be SQUARE"? describes my carpentry skills!

Thanks to Ed and Jimmy for the inspiration.

Randy

PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals