Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Very exciting project man! Not being an aeration expert, my question is how much air does it take thru one diffuser in 4 feet of water operating 7 hours every 24 to open a decent size hole thru the ice everyday in 0 or below temps? To me, that is the minimum output your system needs to provide, regardless of whether it is 1/8 or 1/4 pond. My guess is no one is going to give a definitive answer to that question cause there are way too many variables. I would be very careful thinking you can reduce speed to save pump life unless you are sure you have plenty of air flow at the reduced speed to get er done! smile

Edit: For the Southern boys that don't get much ice, that might be an easier number to come up with and a different story.

You know who's an expert at keeping open water thru a long brutal winter? Mr. and Mrs. beaver. ;)I have an idea that I would like to steal from them next winter. An insulated "aerator hut" placed over the diffuser on top of the water. It will freeze in each night when the pump stops running but maintain open or thinly iced over water inside of the hut until the next morning. Check valve in the top of the hut. Crazy? Probably! grin