I've read elsewhere that setting up an unattended booby trap on your own property will get you strung up. The fact that they are on your property doesn't give you carte blanche.

It can't be illegal to ponder how you'll deal with yet another intrusion/robbery. But any such pondering could be taken as premeditation to the ultimate event. Heavens, installing lights and other preventative measures could be turned into premeditation I suppose.

Is the deciding factor a risk to your person? The intruder in Montana was just nosing around in the guy's garage and unarmed. Was it a lack of warning/challenge?

Not saying the MT outcome is wrong. Just trying to understand how typical state laws draw the line between acceptable protection and an unwarranted attack.

There is always "you shoulda let the cops deal with it." That works better where 911 is 2 min away than in a place where it's 30 min at best.. if you can even get a connection to call 911.

Those threatening BG are really bothering me ya know. Stealing my feed all the time...