Bill, what's an FOID card?

I have a lot of mixed emotions about carrying a weapon or even potentially having to use one.

MEANDERING THOUGHTS:

Let's stay away from getting into politics here. So far, we're doing great on that.

I have no idea how many firearms that I own. I have no memory of them not being around so it's been a way of life for me.

I am a huge believer in individual gun rights. I'm a NRA member and think everyone ought to be. Texas has the Homestead law that says I can legal carry a gun in my car or have one in my home without any kind of license. I have no duty to retreat if/when threatened. I believe that, if/when threatened, seconds count and the Cops are only minutes away.

All that said, at 72, I am too dang old to either run or fight. I believe it is best, whenever possible, to avoid confrontations at all cost. I realize that avoidance isn't always possible but I still don't carry one in my vehicle unless traveling. I agree with Pat about too many "cowboys" carrying them.

There have been several times in my life when I totally lost it, went from 0 to 60 quicker than it takes to type this, and later regretted my actions. I'm glad that I wasn't carrying a gun. I THINK that I've calmed down enough to have good sense but the jury is still out on that.

I have and will continue to eliminate problems on my land when necessary. Yep, I've shot neighbors dogs and will continue. Due to rude neighbors with free running attack dogs I carry a sawed off shotgun when I'm on my property. I really resent having to do that but will use it with neither hesitation nor regret.

Ever been shot at? I have and it's an experience and memory that will stay with you for a lifetime. I still get the shakes thinking about it.

I consider pistols(for some reason I've accumulated a lot of them) to be virtually useless when you really need to use a firearm. That said, I would never carry a knife to a gun fight. BTW, I can't hit anything with a pistol anyway. That means that some danged expensive short guns are closet queens.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 02/13/15 07:34 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP