I wonder if you're a firearm owner, and you don't have a firearm on your person, and it could be something that would help you, how would you feel in that moment and following moments?

For us, it would be most likely a rabid fox. Young children here, youngest of which is 2. No way are 3 of my 4 out running or out smarting a wild animal such as a rabid fox. Oldest boy is old enough he stands a much better chance of fending off and or putting something between himself and the rabid fox. If I've got ground to cover to get to my spawn I can only move so fast, nowhere near as fast as a projectile exiting a barrel of a firearm.

We also carry UDAP, a spray designed as a bear deterrent. Have found this to work on approaching dogs, fox, and even bear. Thus far this has been the only tool used and needed. And this is carried at our home through the neighborhood on walk abouts. Too many odd dogs running free these days.

But having a firearm on your person also provides a tool that if the situation arises, you've got your tool with you ready to go.