Everything stated below is from my experiences and observations here in MN ONLY. They are only my experiences/opinions and in no way should be considered scientific fact. I am a little reluctant to post some of my findings because they are not of conventional thinking. Please keep in mind your location and results may differ greatly from mine!

My observations (the bolded statements are the patterns that I have observed for successful BCP ponds here in MN):

I have helped build and manage close to 20 ponds here in MN over the last 12 years. It's really a network of guys working together that enjoy everything wildlife. Most of the guys, like me, have multiple ponds. We have BOW ranging in size from 1/10 to 2 acres. Most of the ponds have BCP's in them. And all of them are producing what I would consider acceptable BCP's (over 8" with 90% RW or better)

Small bodies of water, less than 2 acres

When I am asked about creating a pond here in MN, I get the same questions EVERY time. The number one question, besides permitting, is the pond depth question. Almost every time, with the right location and hydrology, my suggestion is never deeper than 8' with an average of 4'. Ideally 25-50% of the pond surface area less than 2’. I read somewhere, probably right here on PondBoss, that 90% of all natural occurring food for fish is produced in 1’ of water or less. I believe it and design to it! That nasty smelling, shallow, mucky bottom, is the grocery store for BCP’s. (this strategy for pond construction gets challenged A LOT but the results are proving it sound!)

Shallow overall depths,8’ max with average depths of 4’, high % of organic bottom

Most of the 20 ponds are dugouts and most are highly organic. Meaning greater than 50% of the pond bottom is made up of peat. This is where I believe the Lion’s share of the food is produced for the BCP consumption. I am not exaggerating when I state, there is a new bug hatch every week during the summer and fall months. The word of the day… Entomology!

BOW that produces high counts of bug life

Most of the 20 ponds have a mixture of all kinds of fish. Mostly bucket stocked initially. Channel cats, largemouth bass, black bullheads, bluegills, pumpkinseeds green sunfish, and yellow perch. Most of the ponds are wetland type ponds. They contain stickle back minnows, fatheads, mud minnows and golden shiners. Most of the guys want fish to eat and have a place to entertain family and friends. Harvest the pond….hard! Without exception EVERY BCP comes out with the exception of between 9-12”. They go back. Fishing most likely won’t be enough. Trapping, culling and sorting is usually needed.

Intensive harvest every year

Hope this helps!

Last edited by mnfish; 02/12/15 11:54 AM.