Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Do most here on the forum carry a firearm while at their ponds? I never do as a preventative measure, but will if I'm going squirrel hunting, or trying to dispatch a muskrat or two. Otherwise I don't feel I have a need too, but I'm aware that geography probably plays a role in that decision.

Tony, you've been here. As you face the pond from the road, the neighbors to the right (West) have a few dogs that are not friendly. They get out and run around the neighborhood once in a while, and I've had them growl at me on my property when I've told them to go home. I was bit by one on my index finger a few years ago. Talking to them does no good (the people, not the dogs). My neighbor, Brian, across the street had the Pit Bull at his place and called the sheriff. Sheriff went to the neighbors, and 15 minutes later came back to Brians, telling him "If that dog is back here, shoot the S.O.B. and then call me - here's my phone number."

So, about 80% of the time yes, I carry. I've also had a dog (at night, unknown who's dog it was) growl at me while running towards the door. I had just let Kate outside to go potty and she made it inside and I slammed the door shut. I've taken to looking outside around the house before I let her out, and I have the appropriate means to handle the situation if it ever happens again.

I never carried around my place before that.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).