Originally Posted By: snrub
Originally Posted By: Shorty
BG are easy to feed train. I would pound a metal fence post into the ground and bang on a couple of times every time you feed. (Ring the dinner bell) Feed at the same place and time and the BG will pick it up very quickly.

I drive a Polaris UTV around the pond. That is the signal for the BG to start following me around. See small wakes in the water like a flotilla of small submarines heading towards the sound/vibration.

Rice breakfast cereal will get the fish interested. Rice Crispies are fair, but the real deal is Fruity Pebbles (generic brand in the great big family bag works fine). The various colors really get their attention. The small size and the fact that they sog up pretty quickly, the small BG will take right to them if they are at all hungry. I've tried Cheerios, and would think they would be great. But my fish at least were not oat fans. The Rice cereal they really went after.

Feed some of the Fruity Pebbles, then add in some fish feed as they get to feeding aggressively. The bigger fish will get the idea when they see the small ones getting to eat and they are not. Competition does wonders getting them to hit things they otherwise would not.

Awesome tip Snrub. I will definitely give that a try this spring at my place. I fed my CC grain based 32% pellets for 6 weeks or so last fall and my BG never did show any interest. I stocked pellet trained PS last fall but it was too late in the season to feed pellets. I did buy some small 3.5mm 45% pellets which I will feed this spring. Hopefully, the BG will get the idea when the PS feed.

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/06/15 06:04 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!