fishm-n - You are correct. Not a lot of research has been reported about spawning details of spottail shiners (Notropis hudsonius) despite their being pretty common in the northern half of the US. Most of the literature that I have indicates similar to your findings that most reports indicate spawning occurs in stream like conditions or areas similar to where walleye spawn; rocky wind swept shore areas.

Those interested do need a lot more information on this topic. Spottails are common in large lakes. I think some bait dealers and Univ Extension agents tried to get them and emeralds shiners to spawn in some ponds near southern Lk Erie, Ohio area with little success. They were pretty successful in pond spawning the spotfin shiner Cyprinella spilopterus which are similar silvery appearance and size to the spottail and emerald shiners. I think most shiner species in the Cyprinella genus will spawn in ponds since they spawn in cracks and crevices of stream or pond habitats.

I hope you have good luck with trying the get your local spottail shiners to pond spawn. Your experiences will be very good information to have on this forum. Make sure you have some stringy algae or similar preferred habitat in the ponds for spawning substrates. Moving water from a water falls or pump-hose will likely help your success of the spawning and egg hatch. Forum member DonoBBD from Canada has had success getting common shiners (Notropis cornutus) to spawn in his small pond that has a water falls that creates a current.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/04/15 07:50 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management