George, you just said a mouthful about regional differences. And it's not only about HSB.

Back when I knew a lot about ponds, I quite often gave disastrous advice to new and seasoned pond owners in locales different from my own. Al Hall said it best to me a couple of months ago when he said that the only thing he REALLY knew how to do was to manage his own slice of Heaven.

I think the best thing we have agreed to here is that "it all depends" and "every pond is different". And, it's not just regional. My neighbors ponds are similar to mine but a scant 100 miles away, in East Texas, can be a whole new ball game.

It took me a good while to catch on to the idea that BG/LMB stocking in colder climates was different in areas with more temperate(hot) climates.

Another good example is a recent thread about GSF totally taking over a pond up North. It dang sure doesn't happen here and I'm still trying to wrap my mind around that.

The 2 biggest considerations, to me, have been soil differences and Mama Nature.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP