I am new to this web site and already I am HOOKED. It has sooooo much information. But as a brand new pond owner (I just bought 26 acres with a 2 acre pond on it) I need to cut to the chase and get some step by step advice on what to do to have a great pond. The pond I have is several years old (15-20) but in great shape despite no care. It had a pretty thick bloom of algae this year and with our drought, it got a little on the dark and dank side. The pond depth ranges from two feet to 10 feet and is L shaped. I have been removing scrub willow, other plants, and wood debris away from its shore. There is no farming on the land I own or even nearby. It is a spring-fed pond, but in need of care.

I was considering using Aquashade to stifle the weeds from starting next growing season but I read in the other Forums that you don't want this for a fish pond. Is it really a bad thing to do? If not Aquashade, what should I do to have a less weeded pond next spring and summer. It's mostly a mix of sub-surface weeds that eventually mnake it to the top that I want to get rid of. Algae doesn't appear to be a big problem yet from what I can observe. So, step 1, what king of weed prevention program and chemicals should I use to re-hab this pond? Aquashade seems so recommended.

Second, can someone really give me a no-salesman response as to whether a windmill aerator will really help my pond. I have read all the comments about aeration and the fact that even a little is better than none. I have no doubts about that. But, there is no power nearby so I have no other choice but a windmill. I am also in wide open spaces. However, I am seeing no one really saying how well a windmill aeartor has really worked for them and if it will work for my 2 acre pond. Can someone tell me it's worth the investment? Should I go 12' or higher?

Finally, a step-by step- process for me to follow in my new undertaking with weed control and pond re-hab would really be appreciated. HELP!!