I am so glad to see Bob Lusk's article on Hybrid Stripers in the latest Pond Boss magazine. I have been working with and promoting hybrid stripers for about a decade now and have even tried the hatchery process. Hybrid Stripers have become my favorite pond fish, all around!

About 10 years ago George Glazener and I collected broodstock female striped bass from Lake Texoma and attempted to cross these with male white bass from Lake Limestone to produce the Palmetto Hybrid Striper. Then, after that failed attempt, we learned that Keo Fish Farm out of Arkansas produces the Sunshine bass (white bass female x striped bass male cross). So we attempted the reciprocal cross, which failed again, but was temporarily much more promising.

For the sake of accuracy, I believe there is a factual error in this article. Keo Fish Farms produces the Sunshine Bass, not the Palmetto. The Sunshine Hybrid Striped Bass may be easier to produce due to availability of brood stock, acceptance of prepared diets, and other factors. The Palmetto Hybrid Striped Bass is produced by state and government agencies for stocking public waters. I believe this explains why the HSBs available to us in the private sector from Keo seem to max out around 10lbs, while the public lakes may produce 20lb+ HSBs.

For those of you who need a reference or wish to learn more about Hybrid Stripers, see Culture and Propagation of Striped Bass and Its Hybrids, Available from American Fisheries Society.

It's ALL about the fish!