Originally Posted By: snrub
Good hypothetical question. The question that came to my mind is how do commercial fisheries get their original breeding fish? Maybe that is not a relevant question for major hatcheries today, but at some point in time did not the original fish have to come from the wild? Do fish farms ever supplement new genetics from wild collections? Just wondering.

Another hypothetical question that I would hope no "official" would ever pursue. But what if some idiot neighbor bucket stocks some fish unbeknownst to you from the creek? Are now those fish and subsequent spawn now "public fish"?

Probably no issues to be worried about, but the technicalities could get "interesting", in a not so pleasant way.

If I recall correctly, a Nebraska aquaculture license allows for the collection seed stock from "public" waters. Not sure if that would be true in Kansas or not.

Yes, those would be "public fish" in the sense that a license is required and that bag and possession limits would apply. Land owners typically retain trespassing rights and don't have to let anyone fish.