Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: Rainman
snrub, I could be wrong, but wild caught fish in KS (even off your own part of heaven) put into a private impoundment could make your pond "waters of the state", and the fish will still be the state's property....requiring a license to fish your pond. Receipts must be kept to prove ownership of fish in all states I know of, or they are deemed to be property of the state.

Rex, theoretically speaking here.

Private property in Kansas. You catch Spots outta the creek. Stock them in an impondment, also on your property. They spawn. You remove the YOY and stock them into your pond.

Would the pond that the YOY were stocked in still be "public"?

Thoughts??

Good hypothetical question. The question that came to my mind is how do commercial fisheries get their original breeding fish? Maybe that is not a relevant question for major hatcheries today, but at some point in time did not the original fish have to come from the wild? Do fish farms ever supplement new genetics from wild collections? Just wondering.

Another hypothetical question that I would hope no "official" would ever pursue. But what if some idiot neighbor bucket stocks some fish unbeknownst to you from the creek? Are now those fish and subsequent spawn now "public fish"?

Probably no issues to be worried about, but the technicalities could get "interesting", in a not so pleasant way.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine