Originally Posted By: Omaha
I've only done limited research of spotted bass with smallmouth and found the spotteds would tend to outcompete the smallies, overpopulate and stunt. Undesireable, obviously. Would imagine this could take place if on their own as well, but a smaller pond and aggressive management could certainly curtail this. Very interested in what experts would consider viable forage options for this scenario. Travis likes a sunfish abbreviated RBS (redbreasted sunfish?) in some instances with smallmouth. Maybe that's a start. Or maybe even just bluegill if you can manage them along with adult spotted bass.

I agree with your concerns. In my minds eye (with fuzzy vision common) I picture the SPB having the same issues as LMB as far as management. Like you said, the ability to overpopulate and stunt (requiring regular removal of the smaller individuals). So in that respect it seems to me they would be managed the same as LMB. LMB have the ability to over eat their BG forage base if there is not enough cover for the BG. Even then they will overpopulate and stunt (Have a pond like that on one of our landlords farms - lots of small skinny big mouth LMB). So I'm thinking that in some ways the SPB might be a better match for a trophy BG pond than even LMB. With a mouth half way in between the size of SMB and LMB, that limits the size of BG they could eat. Also with a maximum size of 10 pounds and a more common large size in the 4 pound range, they might be enough to control the BG to an adequate degree without over controlling them. This is all just speculation in my mind.

They are supposed to be hard fighters similar to SMB in that respect. That should go along good for a light tackle pond with trophy BG.

From what I have read, for a trophy BG pond a person needs lots of small/medium size LMB and remove the very large LMB. It would seem to me with the intermediate size of the mouth and body of the SPB they might be just the ticket as the perfect predator for trophy BG ponds. But I may just be dreaming.

Edit: Bruce Condello, your input on the possible desirability of SPB as a predator in a BG trophy pond would be appreciated. How about Tony Livingston? I know you guys maybe are not that familiar with the SPB, but doesn't the size and mouth size seem like a trophy BG pond desirable predator? Thinking outside the box here guys! grin

Last edited by snrub; 01/10/15 09:38 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine