Decided to do some reading on Spotted Bass (SPB) so while at it just as well post some links of what information was found in case someone else is interested.

In-Fisherman article They speak kind of highly of SPB. Could SPB be the SMB equivalent for southern waters? Says will stand higher temperatures and more turbid water.

SPB in Texas Hard fighters and agressive.

SPB maybe be used for trophy BG pond?????? I've read that SMB will not keep the BG population down enough. SPB has mouth size between LMB and SMB. In trophy BG ponds it is said to remove the largest LMB and keep a high population of small/medium LMB. Maybe SPB would fit the nitch for BG control in BG trophy pond without having to remove larger fish because SPB do not get as big (up to about 10 lb max)?????? Just a thought.

Fly fishing SPB

North Carolina SPB Says can out compete SMB and LMB in some waters so maybe not recommended to put in with them in a pond????? Might be just the ticket for my old 1 acre pond that has some GSF in it. Not big enough BOW to grow many big LMB anyway, so maybe would support SPB and grow them to the 2-3# range????? Just thinking (which sometimes gets me into trouble and often makes my head hurt).

Wikipedia info

Florida SPB Has some technical characteristics to ID them.

Virginia SPB Says most are a pound or less. Maybe not enough forage? Record is over 10 pounds.

How to tell the difference LMB and SPB

More ID tips SPB fight more like SMB, tend to go deep rather than to the surface according to this.

USGS with range and description

Crawfish bait is the way to go - numerous 4 pounders

New world record in 2014

Be careful putting in waters with SMB and LMB In certain conditions SPB can out compete other bass. Often need to remove smaller individuals so rest can become bigger. Sounds like same problem as LMB. Maybe would not have the problem of LMB doing away with SPB like they can SMB over time in a pond environment????

Enough!

Anyone have anything to say about SPB? No fish farms raise fingerlings that I know of or could find.

Edit: another newer thread on SB http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=436488#Post436488

Edit: Thread about aggressive bass where the discussion turns to spotted bass. Agressive bass
Edit: thread on another forum with short discussion of spotted bass in farm ponds. One poster said LMB out competed the spots and the spots eventually died out. Another poster said SMB were stocked as the only bass and did well. Sounds like spots might be similar to SMB in that they have trouble competing with LMB Thread about spotted bass in farm ponds

Last edited by snrub; 03/31/18 12:36 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine