Setterguy's pond is cleared, and he took several pictures before, during and after the application.

The first pic is his pond water 3 days after the minimum alum application I would do. The pond being treated is not full, and still has some exposed clay, so it was treated more heavily in anticipation of more colloidal clay entering the pond before it reaches full pool. The cold weather/water created special issues for applying the Alum and required the Hydrated lime being added first rather than simultaneously or after the Alum in order to create the hydrolosis reaction to create floc.

Jar test water after 3 days undisturbed and repeatedly shaken....

The joys and damage of launching a boat into a frozen pond in a nearly inaccessible area after dark.... I was expecting 1/2" thick ice, but finding nearly 3 inches....ice chunk is in the foreground and the trailer was pretty mangled... The backs of the aluminum pontoons and propeller got nicely reshaped as well, but no pictures yet...lol The next day, it only took a about 3 hours using the prop wash (and 60 degree wind temps) to circulate and completely melt all the ice..

Adjusting spray nozzles for a full coverage, narrow pattern...spraying a 25 foot swath rather than my normal 40'+ coverage per pass

After spraying 1700 pounds of Hydrated lime quickly to avoid the rapid pH change and potential death of Fathead Minnows (only fish present), the 3400 pounds of alum spraying began on the edges to allow fish to have a pH neutral "safe haven" to stay in during the treatment...only one fish and 2 frogs were reported as seen that were dead after treatment

The following were during, shortly after treatment... There are Minnows visible in a couple pictures.
Fathead in center....

Flocculation starting immediately...

another FHM

Last edited by Rainman; 11/25/14 01:57 PM.