Originally Posted By: mnfish
I am finding out that slow, steady, and spread out is what keeps the water open while using minimal energy. I am using a 9" membrane diffuser with a larger hole pattern and having good results. I have not calculated or measured the CFM's but I bet they are less than 1.

I did a start up test with 3" of pretty good clear ice. I did auger holes so I'm sure that accelerated the opening of the hole. But 2hrs of run time in 3' of water the hole size was 8-10' diameter (approximate of course. Next time I will get my neighbor to swim out with a tape measure grin )

Extreme cold vs. pump life

Ahhhh! Light in the darkness. You are using a relatively low flow but also using a small area diffuser, Makes perfect sense you you can poke a hole while I can't. I am using a small flow with a big area diffuser. The bubbles I produce at low flow are small and lack the energy to create a signiciant water column. The small diffuser you are using concentrates the flow to a small area and can then get a water column going to bring the warmer water up.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!