Originally Posted By: SetterGuy
This is amazing to see. I hope to see the same results in my pond!
I can see down into the water about .5" now.

The pond above will soon be free of suspended clay and looking great! The very cold water poses some special problems to create the needed reactions to cause flocculation. The jar tests below revealed there are considerable organic solids suspended in the pond water as well, which causes gas bubbles to form (presumably carbon dioxide) and float the floc. Once disturbed by wind/wave action, or in this case, some agitation from the spray barge, the trapped bubbles will be released and the floc will quickly settle.

The pond quickly froze over in the recent cold snap, but this weekend is calling for temps in the mid 50's with rain, so the ice will be melted, giving a brief window next Monday to treat the pond...More pics to come...

Starting the Jar test...Pond water has under 2" clarity...

30 minutes after dosing with Alum and some sodium bi-carb to create a hydrolosis reaction (Pond application will be with Hydrated Lime to create the reaction) Note the floating floc already forming on top.

2 hours after the alum dose, the water is essentially cleared. The specks and cloudiness seen is actually gas bubbles on the inside of the jar sides...

11 hours later, and after being shaken to release the gas bubbles. Water is crystal clear, but new bubbles formed from organic solids decaying rapidly and the chemical reaction happening. (note there is over 1/2" of fluffy floc on the bottom in this container holding one gallon of water)