They may not keep the BG in check, but TJ is keeping them in check in his SMB/HSB pond.

A client stocked around 80 SMB (I think that's the number) in a 1 ac pond, that already had a population of RES and YP. 15 10"+ smb 6 mos or so after stocking around 60 SMB 4"-6". IIRC 2-3 years ago.

There were FHM and GSH also in the pond, along with crayfish. A survey this year showed the SMB are overeating their forage base, and are running anywhere from low 70% to upper 80% Relative weight. The smaller fish are OK RW wise, but anything over 9" or so is underweight. The SMB aleady pulled off at least one spawn, and I think the first spawn is showing the low RW. The larger SMB that were stocked were all tagged and no tagged fish were caught and weighed.

In a small pond, it's relatively easy to adjust fish populations, and keeping good records of fish length and weights is your best tool to keep track of how the fish are doing in your pond. Bill Cody is much better at figureing out fish stocking rates for SMB/YP than I am, but "bucket stocking" as you are is the wild card.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).