Originally Posted By: JamieE
Thanks for the post TJ, I'm really struggling with this as I have a fourteen year old son who loves to fish and wants to catch fish... I may very well go with a higher stocking rate to meet a middle road in order to get a higher catch rate... Those 2-3# SMB are still alot of fun to catch even though they aren't "trophies".

I totally relate! In my case, I have BG forage base so I can push the numbers on SMB, HSB, et al in an effort to manage the BG population...that's a very important difference in your fishery and most others on the forum. I have a very unique predator heavy/forage heavy fishery that, for now, is balanced in a manner that achieves my goals. Lot's of mistakes mandated corrective strategies [150 HSB, 100 WE, 150 HBCP, 300 SMB] that I learned from the forum. Nate was one of the first to push the envelope and suggest ridiculous qty of HSB and SMB can manage BG...and he was right!

Back to your fishery - You could always start on the trophy run, with limited initial stocking rate, and once you grow your girls up to size you could supplementally stock more SMB in a few years in case recruitment isn't happening. There isn't a wrong way to address this - supplemental stocking or culling/harvest can nudge your fishery in the direction you want it in a relatively short period of time [2-3 seasons].

One thing is certain: Experiencing the fruits of your painstaking research and labor will be one of the most rewarding experiences of your lifetime, guaranteed. We, too, will benefit as a community and can help direct new efforts to establish similar fisheries.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]