Okay we have the pond area established. You can pump out the small pond into the big pond IF you strain the water coming out of the hose going into the new pond. Make a bag strainer out of fiberglass window screen about 3-5ft long. Longer of 6ft-10ft if using a big 4"-6" pump. Roll the screen into a cylinder, sew the long seem, then fold over the end and sew it closed. Sewing is preferably done at shoe repair shop although a regular sewing machine might do it. I have hand sown some of these bags with a large darning needle and monofilament fish line. Clamp the bag over the end of the discharge hose. Be very, very careful not to tear a whole in the filter bag while using it or all your work is wasted. I lay my filter bag on a plastic tarp so vibration from rushing water does not ware a hole in it. This filter bag works for all water pumping except when fish are spawning in our region. Fish eggs and fry will go through window screen. To filter eggs and fry during spawn seasons (NY early May - Aug) one needs screen twice as fine mesh as window screen: 500 micron. Ichthyoplankton (planktonic fish eggs and fry) are standardly sampled with nets of 500um mesh.

The cattail stand of stems in the small pond will be problematic to get fish killing chemical in among the dense weed stems for an effective complete kill unless you can get the water low enough to put all cattail growth on dewatered ground. To kill cattails use a glyphosate based aquatic approved herbicide such as Shore-Klear Plus (with surfactant) which is sold in quarts; dilute and spray. BE sure to get the one with Plus which includes the surfactant. You will likely occasionally need more once unwanted shoreline emergent weeds start infesting your new pond. It will also be good to wipe on any emerging cattail leaves that sprout above the water next year from the "sunken island" aka old pond. For wiping use a cotton glove over a rubber glove and dip gloved hand in chemical and wipe leaves.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/24/14 03:43 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management