Proper numbers will depend on one's goals. There is lots of info here about proper stocking densities which do vary based on location of north vs south. Goals, species of fish and size of fish stocked also play roles. First one should decide on what fishes are desired while also being compatible in the fishery and then numbers can be established. For the very best fishery to be established, it is always best to first establish a strong forage fish community so the stocked sport fish will grow the fastest to achieve the goals. A strong forage fish base will result in producing larger, trophy class fish twice as fast. Typically predators will need 8 to 10 lbs of forage fish present for each predator stocked so food does not limit the initial growth of the predators.

What I suggest that you do is start your own pond stocking thread with size and configuration of your pond, your goals, initial plans, and progress so far. Then members will provide input for your project and a final plan developed. The thread can be updated with your progress and fish monitoring results to evaluate your success /progress over time.

As an example of what is possible with proper stocking plan:

Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
If 4"-5" SMB are stocked in April with a pond full of food (minnows & crayfish), then yes I have seen the stockers grow to 10.5"-12" maybe a few 13" by end of first summer (1mm/day) in TN with warmer water in October.

Reply from YolkSac: This is basically exactly what I've observed. Growth rates in the first couple of years in a new pond can be really stellar.
The SMB recruits will start preying on YOY of everything else immediately. We've had really wierd weather this year, I had what seems like a very late, very heavy SMB spawn this year and have schools of 2-3" SMB all over right now. They're incredibly aggressive--woe be to any late hatching BG. This is the latest in the season by far that I've seen such numbers of yoy SMB.
Cody Note: My only concern is smallmouth with BG which I think is a big mistake causing excess manual management and BG overpopulation. Smallie and BG are IMO a no no. Several others will concur. There are much better panfish to use with SMB rather than BG.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/24/14 08:11 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management