Originally Posted By: ewest
From the studies on feeding.

These results indicate that total fish production and production of bluegill were each increased approximately 75 to 80% by supplemental feeding in 19 months after stocking (Schmittou 1967)

Previous studies demonstrated that feed in excess of 10 pounds per acre per day in bluegill ponds was not utilized.

Very Interesting. I'm feeding about 2.5# per day max. Less if the fish are not hitting the pellets well like back when when the water was so hot in summer.

What would be a safe amount to go to without risking fish kills? Five pounds? 7 pounds? I really don't want to push the limits too much, and risk a fish kill. Using aeration.

Been eating a few of the CC (and an occasional BG if we accidentally gut or gill hook one) but the CC are only about a pound. Takes two of them to feed my wife and I about right. Can't wait for them to get to 2 pounds so one fish equals one meal. I never was crazy about catfish before, but these things fresh out of the pond are delicious! They taste 95% as good as the BG, which really surprises me. Sometimes the restaurant CC I've eaten in the past seemed kind of oily, which I did not care for. Not these.

So now I'm wanting to pack some pounds on them by next year.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine