I have more than a few questions and would love to learn more about shallow northern hemisphere water aeration. Lets assume for this discussion, a shallow body of water is 6' or less in max depth and .1 acre in total surface area.

IME here in MN, I can sustain and grow a fish population in a shallow body of water without aeration for all months prior to freeze up. Once ice over, the population sustains for a certain amount of time and then perishes before the ice cover is melted off. Very basic and simple explanation to the demise of the fish;

Little to zero light thru the ice and snow cover = little to zero 02 production
AND
Toxic gasses, to fish, that need to escape from the water can not

If I apply a bottom diffuser aerator or any aerator that maintains open water of a certain size, both of the above limitations are removed and the fish sustain through the ice covered months.

Here is my first discussion question:
1. Assuming my experiences are correct; what are the benefits, if any, to aerating a shallow pond, here in MN, in the summer months?
2. In a shallow pond, how does the rule of 1X-2X turns per day apply, if at all?

I am really trying to learn why certain things are recommended or done. Pure science and empirical data that would apply to this situation not just because it’s “sold” a certain way. The more I dig the less I seem to know! blush