In my experience FA has varying year classes. My FA this year was pretty strong, due to a couple factors IMO:

1. Dry spring allowed 8' water clarity much longer into the Spring following ice out which helped FA grow deeper than it has historically due to increased light penetration.

2. Cool spring delayed rooted vegetation establishment at least 2 weeks later than normal and also reduced planktonic algae blooms which helped water clarity and light penetration.

So, FA had the light due to water clarity and available nutrient loads due to lack of competing rooted vegetation and this resulted in at least 200% increase on my ponds - much deeper than it normally can develop.

In years we have warm, wet Springs I have seen the inverse occur due to early establishment of rooted vegetation. These are just my casual observations that might be helpful.

I don't like FA, however, I also find YOY fish use FA for cover, and often find grass shrimp in close proximity - upon which they are ostensibly grazing.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]