Dave, when you say spray it at first sign, is that first sign when it shows up on the bottom? If I understand it correctly it starts on the bottom in early spring and grows towards the surface. As it dies off it is then when the mats float up to the surface. Do I have this correct?

If so, how do you spray it on the bottom? What chemicals do you use?

I well understand the meaning of comparing it to Johnsongrass. And to think that many, many years ago our road department used Johnsongrass to seed road ditches. Now they spray to kill it as it is considered a noxious weed.

So far mine has not been terribly bad, but bad enough for about a month in the summer. Maybe I need to get a handle on it next spring????

One thing that I think has made mine worse than it would have been, is that we started out water levels about 18" low this spring and did not have the normal fall/spring recharge where the pond starts out full and with some flow through. I know for you guys in Texas 18" low is nothing, but for us it is very unusual to not get at least one large spring rain event to fill the ponds to overflow. So this started out the spring with water that would have been three feet deep with no sunlight to the bottom to 18" with sunlight hitting the bottom. So I think the low water exacerbated the FA problem for me.

Last edited by snrub; 09/15/14 10:59 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine