Interesting observation about the ship. However, a pond is a much smaller, enclosed, ecosystem. As the FA dies it rots and fertilizes the next generation. You see the results in the black muck. Once it becomes an infestation, it rules the pond as a perfect survival model wherever sunlight can penetrate. I think of it as the Johnson Grass of the pond. But it's not as bad as the duck weed that splits and regens itself every couple of hours.

All plants provide the benefit of becoming a home to small species of life. You just have to pick the plant that you want and this is easier said then done once an infestation starts.

Raking provides a small benefit but allows sunlight penetration to give next gen a start.

The important word here is infestation. And FA understands that word very well. I have found that it is important to control it by spraying when it first appears in the Spring. And keep hammering it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP