Definitely softshell. I have not even seen one since I was a kid till this one (but I have not hung around ponds and creeks except for the last couple years since I was a kid also).

I see numerous snapping, redear sliders, etc. This was definitely a soft shell that was fixing to move from my main pond to the sediment pond which is separated by only a road. He was up on the bank about 3' when I came around with the backhoe and spotted him as he lunged for the water and hid under a mat of FA.

I spotted him right by my dock a couple nights ago, but all I saw was a grey, dishpan shape move up in the water column till about a foot depth, then sink right back down as he probably saw me. But I did not get a good enough look to be sure what it was. Got a good look today and my Grandson was not exaggerating any on the size of it.

They were pretty rare to see as a kid (compared to other turtles) and if there was a turtle race to be won, they were the ringers.

I did not realize there are two kinds of soft shell in Kansas. Did not pay enough attention to see which it was, but likely spiny. Kansas turtles

If you want to bring your boat down, we can see if we can catch it and get it in the boat.......... or is that a sore subject?

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine