Rex, I had never heard of the 2 versions of HSB. That's interesting. Where did you get your info? Not doubting you but have just never heard of it.

Jason, I agree with the others here about the HSB not ruining your pond. Too many here have stocked them in ponds your size with no ill effects. Take a look at posts by George1. As he catches and removes them he restocks using what he calls a stocking ladder.

I certainly agree with them about the 2,000 BG and 500 red ears. In Southern ponds, bass over spawn and can quickly reduce forage numbers when stocked at the usual 1,000 per acre.

Are you sure you want the pure Floridas? They have a tendency to get lock jaw and adverse to fishing. And yet they spawn at the huge rates of regular bass. You might wind up with way too many big bass that won't mess with anything with strings attached. That's no fun. Take a look at a cross of Fla and natives. They grow like a pure Florida but are more angler friendly. Texas keeps records of big 13+ pound bass that are caught from both ponds and lakes. An overwhelming number of them are crosses with first and second generation Florida genes.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 08/22/14 04:08 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP