Originally Posted By: wbuffetjr
The average depth of the lake before the rebuild was an estimated 4-5' and it was basically shaped like a rectangle drawn by a three year old. The deepest spot was in the corner of the seep and was 17' deep. The rest of the lake had a TON of 6"-12" area. There was a ton of weeds growing in the shallows - not sure what species. With the new damn, we raised the water level 4.5'. Now I am expecting an average depth of 8-9' and the deepest area 22-23'. I also added a second deep hole at the other corner of the lake. Should be approximately 16-17' deep once full. The new max water level probably will not be reached until the spring runoff in 2015 and the new surface area should be 8-10 acres.

If the new depths will be 22'-23' max then I'd put the winter diffusers in 5'-6' of water (or where the water will be that deep when the pond is full providing you have a couple of feet of water over the diffusers when they are installed in a few weeks). Make sure that whatever might go swimming in the middle of the winter will be able to get to shore to walk out, and not have to climb up on the ice to get out of the pond. Even if it takes 2 diffusers to do that set in line, one in 5'-6' of water and another in 3' of water to make an oblong hole in the ice, safety is important.

For the summer diffusers, you'll need more than just one or 3 in the pond due to it's estimated size. For summer use, they will be distributed between the deepest depths to mid depth, depending on the pond bottom contour. For open water aeration, it's all about gpm of lift from the diffusers and "turning" the pond water volume over a few times per day. (that's providing the water temps stay below 70°F for trout to survive during the summer) If water temps will get above that during the summer, then a different approach will be needed for the warmest part of the summer to keep the trout alive.

There's calculations that can be done to determine the numbers of diffusers needed (and the CFM and PSI needed) to properly aerate the pond when ice is off of the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).