Looks good and you seem to have it well thought out.

One problem I have encountered with all the structure I have in my pond. I've already lost one boat anchor because of it (still need to dawn the scuba and try to find it). I put a LOT of concrete foundation sections (1'x2'x6-10' long) cribbed up log cabin style with a cedar tree upright in the center of the crib. The multiple structures work well for the fish, but is a hazard for fishing lures and anchors.

The pontoon paddle boat I use catches a lot of wind, so is no fun on windy days to try keeping it in position fishing. An anchor tends to drag in the mud bottom then finally catch on something like structure and snag, sometimes permanently.

I'm getting to the point. Slowly, but I'm getting there.

My final solution (to the pontoon boat needing to be moored on windy days and anchors getting eaten by my structure) is going to be to get my scuba gear on, take some rope and small floats, and put permanent boat moorings attached to the concrete foundation pieces in strategic locations around the pond so I no longer need to use an anchor. Just pull up to one of several rope moorings and hook up. Where we scuba dive in the Caribbean it is very common to have permanent boat moorings attached to large screws screwed into the reefs instead of having anchors tearing the reef up every time a boat drops anchor (where I got the idea).

The point to this thread is, had I came up with this idea before the pond filled, it would have been much easier to attach the mooring ropes than what it will be to do so now.

You probably don't have a need for boat moorings in your pond. But if you do, now would be a good time to determine where you want them and where to attach them. Earth anchors in the bottom of a mud pond would work well if no sturdy structure is there (like my concrete foundation bars). Or if you want a floating swimming island (floating dock in the middle of pond), a good time to screw in anchor points would be before the pond fills rather than after.

Just a thought or three.

Last edited by snrub; 08/13/14 08:33 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine