Ahh, yep, if considering pellet feeding, the BG trump the RES. I'm thinking in terms of natural foods. Of the BG and RES having overlapping feeding niche(s). Yet, without competition from BG, one would think that the RES would target bugs, small fish/minnows, ect. . There'd be more crayfish and grass shrimp available as well as pyhtoplanton(sp?) for the little fish. I know that RES readily hit small rubber minnows during their spawn at Lake Guntersville here in northern Alabamie.

It would take a different approach to jump starting the forage base. Consider grass shrimp, and gambusia minnow, possibly crayfish (?rosy FHMs once RES are 1 lb+). Placing colored lights just below the surface to pull in extra bugs. Then some seining or lone single sex predators to help keep the numbers low. The idea intriques me.

So, the approach wouldn't be entirely passive. Yet, it seems doable compared to crappie in a small pond. Interesting to hear that some have tried RES only and RES with YP with little success. I'm hoping to hear if anyone in the deep south has given the RES only pond a try (?aggressively managed)

I respect Bill's, and the other expert's, opinions. Do recall the RES stunting discussion a few years back. I took away the impression that RES can and do stunt, but not as often or not to the same degree.

Self-educated rednecks, the real intelligentsia.