Originally Posted By: Zep
why do people hate turtles?

I love turtles. If I didn't, I would simply shoot them. I got desperate and tried that once, and didn't like it.

I live in rice and crawfish country, and this creates a perfect environment for them to breed without significant predation. There are so many turtles in my pond that we cannot fish without hooking 3-4 every trip. I carefully remove the hook, and transport them 5 miles away. I know they will simply walk back to my pond, but it will take them a few months.

When the farmers drain the rice and crawfish fields, it's a pitiful sight. For hundreds of yards, there are thousands of turtles crushed on the roads. It's heartbreaking to see, but unavoidable. I'm sure you know what happens when deer are allowed to breed unchecked, an ecological calamity.

The good news is, turtles are smart, and when there's a gator in your pond, they walk to another pond. The net effect is that few turtles will be eaten.

I know this is hard for some to understand. They would have to experience it to get a full appreciation. Wall-to-wall turtles will change your outlook on the cute critters.

The above is the reason I put this comment in the "creating a food chain" section. Gators were part of that food chain for millions of years, and man interrupted it. There are consequences for that, ask any pond owner in my area.

Last edited by bobad; 07/27/14 03:13 PM.