Ok so my first choice for our one acre pond was to do Walleye, Yellow perch, and black crappie. After spending many many hours on this site and reading I chose to ditch the black crappie idea for many reasons.

Our main goal for the pond was to have a great fishery with fish we could catch and eat if we want to.

Through some dumb luck we ended up with a Yellow perch only pond. We have some shiners and fathead minnows. This year the perch will all be having their first full spawn. First stock of 400 4-6" and this spring all are 9" +/- 1".

My thoughts are to add 5-10 7-8" walleye if I can find them. Maybe add these in the fall of this year? The thought is to thin out the perch spawn of this year.

I would really like to add black crappie and really need to be told to not add them. It really bothers me not to be able to add them. My one question is how large and how many of walleye would control the black crappie. Are crappie impossible to control?

My answer I expect will be along the lines as this.

Perch will put lots of pressure on the fatheads as it is. Walleye will take what ever will fit in their mouth but would prefer long slender bodies over large round ones. Crappie will still most likely take over the pond if not heavily fished or even trapped out. In time the fatheads will be non existent in the pond.

The pond is very deep. Our heavy clay will allow 1-1 sides to the pond. We are 16 feet on one end 14 feet the other end with a 8 foot gravel ridge in the middle where we have structure and hardy lillypads.

Any thoughts on making this work or just stick with the perch/walleye pond?

Cheers Don.

Last edited by DonoBBD; 05/19/14 04:30 PM.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.