Hope you have a good spawn.

I read a fair amount about crayfish, and it seems like even the ones considered "non-burrowing" will make burrows if water becomes limited. They burrow down to create water to keep their gills wet I would assume.

The real burrowing type, on the other hand, we can find out in a farm field an eighth of a mile from any water. In our creek bottom fields that are in the flood plain, in the summer as it gets dry, I have seen the mounds out in the middle of the field. One time I kicked the mud seal off the top and dropped a tiny clod down the hole. I heard it hit water I would guess about 3 feet down.

Good luck. I have a trap set out to try and catch some what I assume will be "northern" crayfish in a small seasonal creek behind my ponds. Have half a BG in the trap and nothing yet. Think the water may be a little too cold yet. I want to catch them early before they spawn and put some in my new forage pond. Only has about 6" of water so far, but these crayfish live in a few inches of water in the creek so think it will be ok till rain fills the pond. Will see if I have any luck trapping some.

Get this............. this source Northern Crayfish says the Soft Shell or Calico makes mud chimneys (towards the bottom of article belor "other crayfish in Manitoba). So what is going on? Is this source incorrect? Or can all crayfish burrow and make chimneys? Just some more so than others? I'm confused (which is not really unusual).

Last edited by snrub; 04/09/14 10:49 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine